Lower Merion Township Banner

36 Ardmore Ave

Date of Construction: 1887
Original Architect: Furness & Evans
Original Owner:
Description of the Resource: St. Mary’s Episcopal Church was designed in 1886-7 by the architects Furness & Evans. Frank Furness, a local legend, is also internationally known for his inventive, eclectic Victorian style, which often included a great amount of Gothic Revival influence, which is evident in St. Mary’s. The church is of massive stone construction, displaying Gothic windows and typical Furness details such as exaggerated wooden brackets on the entry portico. The main church was altered in 1924. The rectory (now the church office), by Baily and Bassett, dates to 1898. The Parish house was originally designed by the same firm, with Joseph W. Anschutz, and was rebuilt in 1970. Stained glass in the complex was designed by Tiffany, Willet, and D’Ascenzo Studios, among others. (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: AR071

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014