Lower Merion Township Banner

103 Ardmore Ave

Date of Construction: ca. 1881-1887
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Dr. George Gerhard
Description of the Resource: This house and its identical neighbor at 101 Ardmore Ave were built together by Dr. George Gerhard between 1881 and 1887. Dr. Gerhard of Ardmore was the first physician at Bryn Mawr Hospital and the man for whom the Gerhard Building at Bryn Mawr Hospital is named. Gerhard never lived in either of the houses; they may have been an investment. Furness & Evans undertook alterations on one of the houses in 1890. Both frame Queen Anne houses have a hipped front gable with decorative brackets, and their gabled front porches have an unusual curved and circular wooden bracket detail, filled in with latticework. This distinctive round ornamentation corresponds to the oval windows on the side of the houses. The Queen Anne was a common Victorian style during that period of development of the railroad suburbs. (8/2012) This house and its identical neighbor at 101 Ardmore Ave were built together by Dr. George Gerhard between 1881 and 1887. Furness & Evans undertook alterations on one of the houses in 1890. Both houses are in a simplified Queen Anne style, primarily highlighted on their hipped front gable with decorative brackets, and their gabled front porches, which show a distinctive curved and circular bracket detail, filled in with latticework. The Queen Anne was a common Victorian style during that period of development of the railroad suburbs. (88-S91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: AR101

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014