Lower Merion Township Banner

105 Ardmore Ave

Date of Construction: ca. 1877-1881
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Mrs. M. Y. Anderson
Description of the Resource: This large and distinctive Victorian Eclectic house was built in 1881 for Mary Y. Anderson; its original garage still stands but is no longer part of the property (block 006b unit 373). The house is painted brick, and combines multiple popular romantic Victorian styles of the time of the railroad development in an eclectic and imposing whole. It is primarily Italianate in its use of a square, hipped tower, multiple gables with bracketed eaves, and round-topped windows, but it also draws from the Queen Anne style. Architectural investigation shows that the building was originally red brick highlighted with stripes in a contrasting yellow color brick; this was a common and colorful style of construction that was painted over when it fell out of favor. The house sports wonderful interior architectural features including ornate tile flooring in the entrance hall, multiple decorative marble mantels and an interestingly carved staircase and newel post. It retains its original door moulding and woodwork. (8/2012) This large and distinctive house was built between 1877 and 1881 by Mrs. M.Y. Anderson; its original garage still stands but is no longer part of the property (block 006b unit 373). The house is painted brick, and combines multiple popular romantic Victorian styles of the time of the railroad development in an eclectic and imposing whole. It is primarily Italianate in its use of a square, hipped tower, multiple gables with bracketed eaves, and round-topped windows, but it also draws from the Queen Anne and Gothic Revival styles. (88-S 91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: AR102

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014