Lower Merion Township Banner

6 Bala Ave

Date of Construction: ca. 1881-87
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Vandiver
Description of the Resource: This property was one of the first tracts sold off by Jacob L. Stadelman, a commercial speculator who controlled about 155 acres along City Avenue. Built between 1881 and 1887 by Vandiver (1887 Atlas), this is a two-and-a-half-story stone hipped roof house. Deceiving with only a modest three bay fašade, the house is actually quite deep, and a one-story addition has been adjoined to the rear. A simple Queen Anne style, the house has symmetrical cross-gable sections projecting from the southeast and northwest facades. The house has some Stick Style detailing and bay windows, several dormers and corbelled brick chimneys.(10/2012) 2 story 3-bay stone late 19th century house w/carriage house. (1896 atlas: Frank G. Hollowbush) (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC004

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014