Lower Merion Township Banner

27 Bala Ave

Date of Construction: 1913-20
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Joseph M. Cranston
Description of the Resource: This Queen Anne style frame house and outbuilding were constructed between 1913 and 1920 for Joseph M. Cranston. A 1926 atlas shows the property is owned by G. G. Thompson, and it appears to have remained in the Thompson family to this day. This large clapboard and shingle house was situated between the Bala Public School and playground and several Shull Lumber Company buildings. The house has a cross-gable roof and large wrapping porch. There are four gable-roof dormers, and two brick chimneys. Small one-story addition and one-and-a-half-story addition have been adjoined to the rear or northeast fašade. The garage/outbuilding behind the house is a low gable-roof building with a twin shed dormer addition. (10/2012) Frame clapboard/shingle Queen Anne; needs restoration. (1896 atlas). (88-S 91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC012

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014