Date of Construction: 1888-89
Original Architect: T. P. Chandler, Jr.
Description of the Resource: St. Asaph’s Church began as a parish in 1888. It was erected on land donated by George B. Roberts of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The Roberts’ owned most of the undeveloped land between Belmont Avenue and Conshohocken State Road. This parcel was set aside for the establishment of St. Asaph’s, and over the next half-century additional pieces were added to the property as gifts from the Roberts family. T. P. Chandler, Jr. designed the original church building, first parish house wing and rectory. The stone church was designed to resemble St. Asaph Cathedral in Wales. The cathedral was originally built in the 6th century but after being demolished and rebuilt several times currently stands in its Tudor incarnation. Architect Louis Baker designed an addition to the church in 1911 as well as the rood screen of the church in 1913. Parish hall additions were made by Zantzinger, Borie & Medary in 1923. Local smith Samuel Yellin did the ironwork for the church in 1923 as well. In 1950 the parish hall was enlarged extensively by Borie & Smith. Tiffany Studios was also involved in the construction of the church, most likely in the production of stained glass. (10/2012) St. Asaph's Church and Rectory (1888-1889). T.P. Chandler Jr. architect. Handsome late 19th century church complex w/historical connection to the Roberts family. (Hotchkin 18 21; Toll 1442). Barn at 7 Conshohocken State Rd removed from inventory by Ord 3902 - 1/20/2010
Street Classification: Primary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC013