Lower Merion Township Banner

29 Bryn Mawr Ave

Date of Construction: ca. 1896-1900
Original Architect:
Original Owner: John Haubert
Description of the Resource: John and Jacob J. Haubert owned the two to three tracts of land that now make up the area along Bryn Mawr Avenue between Union and Aberdale Roads. An 1896 atlas shows a concentration of large greenhouse complexes within an area of two to three blocks. John Haubert owned one of these large complexes; David Bearn had one at the corner of Union and Old Lancaster, and W. W. Faust owned the third at the corner of North Highland and Old Lancaster. The two-and-a-half-story stone house built between 1896 and 1900 on John Haubert’s land has a hipped slate roof and hipped roof porch. The denticulated wood cornice of the house and of the porch as well as the pairs of columns that support the porch are characteristic of the Colonial Revival style, one of the other popular styles present in this neighborhood which is dominated by the Queen Anne style. The façade is symmetrical with a central round-headed dormer flanked by two gable-roof pedimented dormers. There are three dormers (two single dormers flanking a twin dormer) and a porch on the rear (northeast) façade matching the front façade. Both the southeast and northwest sides of the roof also have two dormers, and a brick chimney stands between the pair on the northwest side. (10/2012) (1913 atlas: Jon. Haubert) (88-S 91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Tertiary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC014

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014