Lower Merion Township Banner

42 Derwen Rd

Date of Construction: 1929
Original Architect: Wilson Pollock
Original Owner: Rudolph Lukens
Description of the Resource: This two-and-a-half story house was built in 1929 for Rudolph Lukens by architect Robert Wilson Pollock. The house sat on one of the last open lots on Derwen Road. Pollock was a local architect who graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and was active from about 1914 to 1928. This stone house has an intersecting gable roof, and although it has many Colonial Revival elements, it is not symmetrical and has a T-plan. The gable end front fašade has shuttered windows and an arched window above the second story. The front entry projects slightly from the rest of the fašade, and the doorway has two doric pilasters, a broken scroll pediment and is flanked by two small windows. Doric columns of the same size support a porch to the left of the entry. This porch shelters a set of French doors with shutters. The house has a large stone chimney on the northeast side and dormers of varied size and style. A large bay window projects from the rear fašade. The house has high integrity, and there has been little change to the exterior. (10/2012) Irwin house probably built for a teacher at Lower Merion Academy. Well detailed stone Queen Anne w/barn.
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC017

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014