Lower Merion Township Banner

50 Ashland Ave

Date of Construction: 1912
Original Architect:
Original Owner:
Description of the Resource: St. Andrew’s Mission was constructed on the edge of the Belmont Heights and Ashland Heights developments in Bala Cynwyd. It faces north and sits right along Ashland Avenue, between Lyle and Springfield Avenues. Built to function as a school in the early 1910s, the rectangular institutional building is now the Belmont Hills Community Center. Constructed of rough-cut fieldstone, it is twelve bays long, three stories tall, and topped with a hipped roof. The front entrance is located in the eastern-most bay, under a Craftsman-style gabled hood that is supported by diagonal brackets and decorated with wide verge boards and trusses. An identical hood hangs above a second-story entrance on the eastern end of the building. There is a large window on the second level near the western end of the building that may have originally been a doorway but has been changed into a window and its staircase removed. (8/2012) Twelve bay turn of the century stone institutional building. (1913) atlas: St. Andrews Mission. Now Belmont Hills Community Center. (88-S 91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC019

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014