Date of Construction: 1906-1908
Original Architect: George Ignatias Lovatt, Sr.
Original Owner: Rev. M. J. Mcabe, Rectory
Description of the Resource: St. Matthias Roman Catholic Church was founded by Archbishop John Ryan in February 1906. Father Michael J. McCabe was the founding pastor. Ground was broken in October 1906, and the new church to house the St. Matthias parish was dedicated in November 1908. The church, attached rectory, convent and original school (replaced in 1971) were built of native stone. The church has a front gable tile roof, a square corner bell tower, and Tudor arched stained glass windows. The central stone entry pavilion projects from the face of the building. 1931 alterations included mural paintings, statuary and other ornamentation added to the original interior of the sanctuary. The rectory has a cross-gable roof and Tudor arches on the first story front fašade. Built in 1940 by Henry D. Dagit & Sons, the convent has a front gable tile roof with Tudor arch windows on the second story front fašade and a central entry Tudor arch doorway with granite steps; the main building stone matches the stone of the church and rectory but details along the roofline and around windows are in limestone. A stone Parish House faces North Highland Avenue and has a front gable tile roof and central entry. The 1971 brick Parish Center, which houses the new school, gymnasium, cafeteria and social hall, has a flat roof and cast stone spandrels above and below the windows (10/2012) A stone Roman Catholic Church.
Street Classification: Tertiary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC028