Date of Construction: mid-1800s
Original Owner: S. Lee
Description of the Resource: Known more recently as the Plant Outlet when it housed offices and business and long ago as the West Manayunk Mill, this building is one of only five intact mill complexes still standing in all of Lower Merion. While three mills once stood along this stretch of Gulley Run, a once-industrialized waterway in Belmont Hills, only this large three-story stuccoed mill and two smaller stone residences from the same period remain today. It is the last mill in the township that is not located on Mill Creek. The mill dates to the mid-1800s and by the end of the 19th century was producing shoddy, a heavy fabric created from recycled wool and cotton. The original wood floors, staircases, masonry walls, metal windows, and massive timber framing remain intact but deteriorated and exemplify late 19th-century industrial building construction. In the 1920s, the mill became the Belmont Concrete Casket Company and many new one-story concrete sections were added. Renovation of the large storage room was planned in 1926 by architect Frank C. Watson; the interior stone masonry walls were removed to allow an open plan, and a one-story stone extension with slag roof and concrete foundation was added on to the existing three-story building. (10/2012) A remaining mill building from the Lees Shoddy Mill identified on atlases prior to 1896.
Street Classification: Primary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC036