Lower Merion Township Banner

306 Bala Ave

Date of Construction: 1895-6
Original Architect: Wallace Trumbauer
Original Owner: Alva R. Jones
Description of the Resource: Alva R. Jones commissioned Wallace Trumbauer to build this three-story Shingle style house on this large lot in 1895. The house has since gone through several transformations. The front (northeast) façade has a prominent gable front with an attached two-story tower. The house has varied massing and rooflines with a large stone chimney and dormers of various sizes. Second owner S. Ross Campbell sold the property to Frank E. and Gladys W. Baker between 1926 and 1933. The Bakers extended both the side and rear ells, built the pool in 1933 and added the porte cochère between 1937 and 1948. In 1954, the Unevangelized Fields Mission, an international evangelical Christian outreach mission, purchased the property. The mission, now called CrossWorld, currently has a seven-building campus. The red-roofed T-plan building at the center rear of the property was built between 1908 and 1913. The other five outbuildings were built after 1961. There are four gable-roof buildings and a large gambrel-roof building. The house at the front of the property was constructed in 1974 to be used as the Administrator’s house. The mission hired local engineer Paul J. Sebastian to build the two-story house with two front single dormers and a large rear shed-roof dormer. (10/2012) A.R. Jones house shingle style port cochere 3 stories.
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC042

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014