Lower Merion Township Banner

375 Conshohocken State Rd

Date of Construction: 1886
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Pennsylvania Railroad
Description of the Resource: Constructed in 1886 by the Pennsylvania Railroad, the Cynwyd Train Station is one of the last remaining examples of the standard depot built with interchangeable parts and machine-sawn wood. The standardized stations were constructed to save money and compete against the Reading Railroad. When the Pennsylvania Railroad began service in 1884 and the Cynwyd Train Station constructed two years later, the surrounding neighborhood subsequently developed around the train station. Architecturally, the building follows the Stick style: it has a gable roof with large overhangs, vertical and horizontal bands emphasizing the wall surface, curved porch-support brackets, and horizontal clapboard cladding. Originally, a toothed sheet metal cresting along the roof peak added an interesting architectural detail in contrast with the tall brick chimney. Today, the waiting room is still used for R6 passengers, but the remainder of the station is vacant and suffers from neglect. (8/2012) Cynwyd Train Station. Brick & Frame late 19th century Stick Style; needs restoration. (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC047

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014