Lower Merion Township Banner

503 Bryn Mawr Ave

Date of Construction: ca. 1853
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Clifford Levering
Description of the Resource: This two-and-a-half story white stucco house was built circa 1853 for Clifford Levering, a teacher at the Lower Merion Academy. The second owner was John Levering, who was also a teacher at the Academy and was the creator of the 1851 Levering Map. John Levering left the house to his son Clifford Levering, another teacher at the Academy, and the house remained in the Levering family until 1894 when it was sold to Daniel and Mary Titlow. It remains in the Titlow family to this day. This house is part of a small neighborhood of residences and buildings dubbed Academyville that were constructed around the Lower Merion Academy. The house is set back about 40 feet from the road and is hidden from the street by large evergreen trees. To the rear, the one-acre lot has a 19th century landscape and rose garden. The Italianate house has a three-bay fašade and metal porch with exceptionally fine cutout wood porch supports. The two-panel center entrance door appears to be original and has a two-light transom above. The wide eaves of the house are punctuated by a single-bracketed cornice. The gable roof is asphalt shingled with chimneys located on the ridge at each end. The building is L-shaped with the kitchen (originally a pump shed) located in the one-and-a-half story rear wing. As of the 1988 PHMC Survey, the house was largely intact on the interior but had little detailing and no fireplaces, indicating that stoves were initially used for heating. A gable-roof outbuilding built between 1871 and 1896 still stands behind (northeast of) the house. (10/2012) Levering House: Stucco Italianate w/porch probably built c1853 for Clifford Levering a teacher at the Lower Merion Academy. Second owner was John Levering a teacher at Lower Merion Academy and creater of the 1851 map of Lower Merion Township. (85) 1971 Survey #75, 1975 Survey # 39
Class: 1
Street Classification:
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC056

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014