Lower Merion Township Banner

507 Bryn Mawr Ave

Date of Construction: pre-1851
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Joseph Thomas
Description of the Resource: This 19th century Federal style house was built across the street from the Lower Merion Academy as part of a small neighborhood of residences and buildings dubbed Academyville. Between 1896 and 1900, then owner Joseph Thomas sold the property to H. Sibley, Jr.; the Sibleys were a local family who owned other property in Academyville. The two-and-a-half-story stone residence has a white stucco finish. The house has an intersecting gable roof; the rear section of the house has a gable as wide as the front section is long. There is also a small one-story shed-roof ell off this rear section. The front (west) fašade has four bays with shuttered windows on the first and second stories and small square windows below the roofline. The house has chimneys on either gable end and a third chimney at the rear of the structure. Although the front door is not centered, a porch extending from but not quite spanning the entire fašade preserves the symmetry. At the rear of the house is an original outbuilding. (10/2012) 4-bay mid-19th century stucco house in: Academyville area. (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC058

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014