Lower Merion Township Banner

519 Bryn Mawr Ave

Date of Construction: 1900
Original Architect:
Original Owner:
Description of the Resource: This 19th century two-and-a-half-story house was built across the street from the Lower Merion Academy as part of a small neighborhood of residences and buildings dubbed Academyville. This house is similar in style to 507 Bryn Mawr Avenue and was likely built around the same time. Theodore Slaw owned the property in the 1880s and 1890s and built the property that is now at 525 Bryn Mawr Avenue on the same lot between 1887 and 1896. Between 1926 and 1937, George F. Merkel built a planned community on either side of Academy Road, dividing this property into two halves but leaving these two houses intact. The front (west) fašade has three bays with double-hung windows on the first and second stories and smaller windows below the roofline. All windows have shutters. The door aligns with the right bay and has a transom and sidelights. A pent roof separates the first and second stories. The gable roof house has small one-story additions to the south and east facades. The outbuilding at the rear of the lot dates from between 1887 and 1896 but has undergone alterations and additions. (10/2012) 3-bay mid 19th century stucco house w/pent eave in: Academyville area. (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC059

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014