Lower Merion Township Banner

525 Bryn Mawr Ave

Date of Construction: ca. 1887-96
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Theodore Slaw
Description of the Resource: This two-and-a-half-story frame and shingle house was built nearby the Lower Merion Academy as part of a small neighborhood of residences and buildings dubbed Academyville. Theodore Slaw owned the property in the 1880s and 1890s; 519 Bryn Mawr Avenue already stood on the property, and between 1887 and 1896, Slaw built this second house on the same lot. Between 1926 and 1937, George F. Merkel built a planned community on either side of Academy Road, dividing this property into two halves but leaving these two houses intact. This simple Queen Anne style house has a front porch supported by posts with decorative trusses. It has an intersecting gable roof with a chimney in the center of the house projecting from beside the intersection of the two gables. There is a second small porch off of the rear ell on the north side. Front windows have shutters and all frames are painted white, adding a Colonial Revival feel against the reddish brown siding. The outbuilding at the rear of the lot dates from between 1937 and 1948; it has a saltbox roof and small chimney and is similar in color palette to the main house.(10/2012) Two story wood shingle w/Queen Anne front porch in: Academyville area. (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC060

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014