Lower Merion Township Banner

1110 Bryn Mawr Ave

Date of Construction: 1894
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Merion Cemetery Company
Description of the Resource: 21-acre Merion Memorial Park, situated on Bryn Mawr Avenue at Rock Hill Road was established in 1888 to serve the Black and Chinese communities of the Township. The entrance to the cemetery is marked by carved stone posts. Mature trees are found along the edges of the property, and there are two frame cemetery administration/maintenance buildings. Gravestones and altars are generally simple with the exception of a few large late 19th century markers with Victorian decorative motifs. Merion Memorial Park is the only one of the three Lower Merion cemeteries with an African American owner. Chinese associations from as far away as Boston and Baltimore have purchased lots in Merion Memorial Park. The Chinese sections of the Memorial Park contain shrines where joss sticks were once burned and whole pigs were once roasted to provide food for the deceased until he/she joined his/her ancestors in heaven. Until 1935, when China became Communist, the bones of deceased Chinese were periodically exhumed, cleaned and shipped to China for permanent burial in the towns where the deceased had resided. Since the 1970s, with the easing of relations with mainland China, this custom has been reinstated. (10/2012)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BC064

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014