Lower Merion Township Banner

319 Baintree Rd

Date of Construction: 1793
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Peter Jones
Description of the Resource: Green Bank is said to date back to 1793. Once on an estate as large as 312 acres, the Roberts family purchased Green Bank in 1883 on 68 acres. The house at Green Bank, which is situated atop a terraced hillside, has additions and alterations dating to 1833, 1899, 1922, 1956 and 1969; it is now roughly H-plan and was built in stages. The earliest section appears to be the west five bays of the main (south) fašade. This two-and-a-half story Adam section has an entry with sidelights and a single wooden door with two elongated round-headed panels, pedimented dormers and chimneys at each end. At the west gable end, architecturally diverse windows on the first floor are French doors with fanlights, on the second floor are flattened arches and on the third floor are Gothic pointed arches. Later sections include a two-story, three-bay gable addition to the east, a four-bay ell with two chimneys at the ridge and a three-bay hipped-roof north wing. The east section has a French door with fanlight on the east gable end and a large brick chimney and semi-circular tower that houses a spiral staircase dating to the 1922 work of Samuel Yellin. (10/2012)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BM033

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014