Lower Merion Township Banner

415 Caversham Rd

Date of Construction: 1951
Original Architect: Walter K. Durham
Original Owner: Mrs. G. Dawson Coleman
Description of the Resource: This house was designed by Walter K. Durham for Mrs. G. Dawson Coleman in 1951. The property became available around 1950 after the “Colebrook” estate, once located north of this property, was subdivided for development. This house sits along Caversham Road which is to the north. A stone-and-stucco wall surrounds the property and two small rooster statues stand at the driveway entrance. The building takes on a S-shaped plan and each block has a black slate, hipped roof with a tile saddle. The northern, north-facing block is a 1 ½ story, three-bay garage. It has two hipped dormers and one hipped wall dormer on the western end. The main block is two stories tall, five bays wide and extends southward off the southwestern corner of the garage. The main entrance is located in the center of the eastern façade of this block. There is an elaborate pedimented dormer and two rounded dormers on the roof. The final two-story block extends westward off the back of the main block. There is also an outbuilding on the property. (10/2012) Part of Carrie H. Potts: Colebrook estate (not the main house).
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BM040

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014