Lower Merion Township Banner

622 Carisbrooke Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1881-87
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Mrs. Charles Wheeler
Description of the Resource: Formerly a carriage house on “Pembroke Farm,” this small house currently sits on at the northern end of a long narrow lot running along the east side of Carisbrooke Road. In 1873, Charles Wheeler, president of Pascall Iron Works and founder of the Central National Bank, built his summer home on a 100-acre estate bound by Fishers Road, Morris Avenue, and New Gulph Road. In 1890, seven years after Charles Wheeler died, his widow and family decided to move to the estate year round. Although they began to sell parcels of land beginning in 1910, the family remained on the estate until it was destroyed by a fire in the 1930s. The property was then subdivided. The stone and frame house is two stories tall and oriented east towards the road. It has a square block with front-facing parallel gables and a side-gabled wing to the north. A one-story porch is located on the front of the wing and there is an entrance in the center of the larger block. A two-bay detached garage is located north of the house. (10/2012) Brick carriage house from: Pembroke Farm (Mrs. Charles Wheeler 1896 atlas) +1 outbuilding. (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BM059

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014