Lower Merion Township Banner

636 Black Rock Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1851-1871
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Hamilton Egbert
Description of the Resource: Originally part of Hamilton Egbert’s 16-acre property along the curve of Black Rock Road, just before the turn of the 20th century, the parcel was divided and the house and outbuilding were purchased by E.S. Sayres. He first called the property “The Boulders” then quickly changed it to “Black Rocks.” Sayres hired Furness & Evans to remodel and add to the farmhouse--doubling its size. He lived there until the 1930s to Everett Barnard. Barnard hired Walter Durham to add another addition to the home and he hired landscape Thomas Sears to revamp the property. The large Colonial Revival home is generally two stories tall. It is composed of four blocks, which create a t-shaped plan. The front façade faces south, towards the road. The western block has a side-gabled roof, is three bays wide and holds the front entrance in its center bay. A pedimented entry hood hangs over the door. There are three pedimented dormer windows on both sides of this block. The next, center, block steps forward from the western end. It is two bays wide and has a pent eave and shed-roof, which meets up with the gabled roof of both its wings. The eastern block is also two stories and has a side gabled roof. There is a cross gabled wing in the center of the rear façade. (10/2012) Refer to PA Resource Card #3001; 1971 Survey # 55; 1975 Survey # 49; MC Survey #137
Class: 1
Street Classification: Tertiary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BM064

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014