Lower Merion Township Banner

651 Black Rock Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1926-1937
Original Architect: Erling H. Pederson
Original Owner: Paul Kendall, esq.
Description of the Resource: This 2 story house was built in 1928 for Paul Kendall, Esq. on a three acre lot owned by Edward Sayres. It was designed in a Colonial Revival style by architect, Erling H. Pedersen. The house is set back from the road and screened from view by a row of mature trees along the road. The house faces north, and the visitor drives up the eastern side of the property, across the front of the house to a garage on the western end. The building is composed of a central, five-bay, 2 story, two-pile block, a western wing of one bay, 1 stories, and one pile, and an eastern wing that is three bays and also 1 stories and one pile. The central block has a hipped roof, two large, brick end chimneys, and three gabled dormer windows on both the north and south side of the house. The entrance is located in the center bay under a large pediment and a row of transom lights. This block features a large boxed cornice and a belt course. Both wings are side-gabled and have hipped wall dormers on the second level. (10/2012) Classic Georgian Revival brick estate house. Large landscaped property. (1938 atlas: Paul Kendall). (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Tertiary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BM067

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014