Date of Construction: ca. 1887-96
Original Owner: Walter Lippincott
Description of the Resource: Refer to 326 Avon: This former outbuilding was constructed sometime between 1893 and 1896 for Walter Lippincott. Named Colony Cottage, the building functioned as staff quarters for Lippincott’s “Alscot” estate until the 1930s. The 20-acre estate remained relatively whole until the 1940s, when the main house was demolished and the property was subdivided. This house is composed of a large, late 19th century block and an early 21st century addition on the northern end. The historic section is 2 ½ stories, five bays wide and has a side-gambrel roof. It was designed in a Colonial Revival style and features a front porch on the center three bays, three gabled roof dormers, a large, dentiled cornice that wraps around the entire house, enclosing the side-gambrel roof, and a large chimney that rises on the exterior of the southern gable. It has a three-bay one-story porch which shades the main entrance in the center bay. The 21st century addition is five bays, two-stories, has a side-gambrel roof and is set back from the front façade of the historic block. Also on the property is the estate’s 1920s steam plant building. Refer to 326 Avon Road. Added as Class 2 on 8/2/2006. Full architectural history of the property in Inventory Amendment folder.
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BM160