Lower Merion Township Banner

9 S Bryn Mawr Ave

Date of Construction: ca. 1900
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Jeannette Black
Description of the Resource: This stone Colonial Revival home replaced a mid-19th century home just after the turn of the twentieth century. A five-acre parcel on Bryn Mawr Avenue, between Lancaster and Old Lancaster Roads belonged to the Black family beginning in the 1850s or 1860s. Called “Upland,” the estate included this main house, a carriage house and a guest or staff house. The Blacks continuously owned the property until the late 1920s, when it was taken over by the Bryn Mawr Memorial Association. The main house was used for the Bryn Mawr War Memorial & Community House, and in 1926, the Ludington Memorial Library was designed and built. The property belonged to the Township of Lower Merion by 1948. There are tennis courts and an open recreational field as well as several outbuildings on site. The historic house is 2 ½ stories tall and has a hipped roof. There is a one-room, one-story wing on the northern end and a 1 ½ story, two-bay, gambrel-roof wing on the southern end. The main façade is oriented west towards Bryn Mawr Avenue and is six bays wide. It features a large flat-roofed portico supported by several groups of Doric columns. Underneath it is the building’s main entrance, which is flanked with sidelights and a semi-circular fanlight. Part of the portico extends across the southern half of the front, functioning as a porch. There are three pedimented dormer windows on the western side, two on the eastern side, one on both the northern and southern sides, and there are two chimneys at the peak of the roof. (10/2012) This large, stone, two-and-a-half story Colonial Revival building has been adapted for office and community service space with a residential apartment on the second floor. The remaining carriage house has been converted for office use. First house exists by 1871. Replaces 1900-8 (location moves slightly)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BM162

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014