Lower Merion Township Banner

22 Conshohocken State Rd

Date of Construction: 1942
Original Architect: Durham & Irvine
Original Owner: J. Crosby Brown
Description of the Resource: Designed and built in 1942 by popular Main Line architect, Walter K. Durham, the William Willits House is situated on a hillside west of Conshohocken State Rd just north of Mill Creek. The brick, Colonial Revival house has had several additions throughout to the years, resulting in a complicated, U-shaped plan. Its main (east) fašade has five bays; its entrance is placed north of center and shaded by a standing seam metal hood. A small, two-story addition with a tall mansard roof is attached to the northern wall and steps forward from the east fašade to cover a porch. A two bay garage with pyramidal roof is located northeast of the house. The house was built on a subdivision of the James Crosby estate, a wealthy resident who lost much of his wealth in the 1929 stock market crash. In order to make some income for his family, Crosby made arrangements to hire the firm, Durham & Irving to develop a residential subdivision plan. Due to subdivision regulation, only the firm of Durham & Irving or another previously approved architect could design and build in this subdivision. Subsequently, Durham & Irvine designed buildings on just over half of the forty-three lots. The residence is part of the Mill Creek Increase National Register Historic District because of the famed architect and its location near the Mill Creek. (8/2012) This house was built in 1942 for William C. Willits by the architectural firm of Durham and Irvine. It was built on a subdivision of James Crosby Brown Estates, which he was forced to sell after the stock market crash of 1929.
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Mill Creek Increase
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL008

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014