Lower Merion Township Banner

25 Conshohocken State Rd

Date of Construction: 1934
Original Architect: Howe & Lescaze
Original Owner: Roy F. Spreter (1937)
Description of the Resource: Designed in the International Style in 1934, the Roy Spreter Studio and Garage is one of the earliest residences of this style in the western Philadelphia suburbs. Renowned architect, William Lescaze, of the Howe & Lescaze firm designed the two-story building for artist, Roy Spreter, who is best known for his short stories and illustrations, including the camel and pyramid logo of Camel Cigarettes, an image now recognized worldwide. Spreter then lived in the historic “Fairview” house next door, which, at that time, also included the property that is now 25 Conshohocken. He originally used as his studio a converted barn on the property, but after it burnt down, he hired Lescaze to design a studio and garage. Lescaze included in his design many of the typical architectural hallmarks of the International Style: flat rooftop, large expanses of windows, projecting balconies, no ornamentation, curved forms, and engagement with its surrounding natural landscape. Constructed primarily of stone and concrete, the asymmetrical building was finished in smooth white stucco, also typical of the style. In 1952, Spreter decided to subdivide the lot, build a residential addition to the studio, and sell “Fairview.” The addition was constructed on the west end of the building in by architect, George Daub. A second addition in 1970, commissioned by the new owners expanded the kitchen to the south. Also on the property is the foundation of an early nineteenth century barn from the Robeson Mill, which is considered as a contributing site to the Mill Creek Increase National Register Historic District. While the residential building is listed as non-contributing to the Historic District, it is considered eligible for the National Register of Historic Places because of its architectural significance. (8/2012)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Mill Creek Increase
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL010

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014