Lower Merion Township Banner

56 Crosby Brown Rd

Date of Construction: 1903
Original Architect: Price & McLanahan
Original Owner: William C. Scott (1903-1914)
Description of the Resource: This converted carriage house was once part of the large “Dipple” estate, designed by the firm, Price & McLanahan for William Scott in 1903. Situated next to the main house (57 Crosby Brown Rd) on a plateau above Mill Creek, the stone residence is accessible by a long driveway at the end of Crosby Brown Rd. First named “Dipple” and then “Clyfton Wynyates,” the 190-acre estate consisted of the mansion and carriage house (separated by a stone wall) and several previously built farm and mill buildings. The large, Gothic Revival carriage house is composed of a two-story central block topped with a gentle sloping hipped roof and two, smaller one-story wings. Both wings are split into to sections: the northeastern halves have gabled roofs and presumably contain living space, while the southwestern halves have hipped roofs and consist of the garage and a covered porch. The estate was sold to James Crosby Brown, Jr. in 1914 who renamed it “Clyfton Wynyates.” After Brown lost much of his wealth in the 1929 stock market crash, his estate was subdivided and sold. (8/2012) Stone Tudor carriage house from: Clifton Wingates. (1913 atlas: William C. Scott then called: Dipple). (see 57 Crosby Brown Road) (85).
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Mill Creek Increase
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL026

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014