Lower Merion Township Banner

57 Crosby Brown Rd

Date of Construction: 1903
Original Architect: Price & McLanahan
Original Owner: William C. Scott
Description of the Resource: This large, Tudor style house was built in 1903 by the architecture firm, Price & McLanahan for owner, William Scott. The house is situated on a plateau above Mill Creek and is accessible by a long, straight driveway at the end of Crosby Brown Rd. First named “Dipple” and then “Clyfton Wynyates,” the 190-acre estate consisted of the mansion and carriage house (separated by a stone wall) and several previously built farm and mill buildings. The large 2-1/2 story house is constructed of cut grey stone and typical Tudor-style half-timber walls. The complex slate roof encompasses gabled roofs, hipped roofs, and conical and octagonal roofs. The estate was sold to James Crosby Brown, Jr. in 1914 who hired Price & McLanahan to renovate the buildings and then renamed the estate “Clyfton Wynyates.” After Brown lost much of his wealth in the 1929 stock market crash, his estate was subdivided and sold. The mansion was separated from its carriage house, which is now 56 Crosby Brown Rd. The mansion has been home to several famous owners. From 1937 to 1962, the house was owned by Eugene Houdry, a French chemist whose chemical discoveries led to the first unleaded high-octane gasoline. In 1965, TV talk show host, Mike Douglas moved in an added a swimming pool. Famed black “soul” singer, Teddy Pendergrass, purchased the estate in 1979 and lived there until the mid 1980s, reportedly filling the mansion with 300-400 teddy bears, all gifts from his devoted followers. The house is significant because of its architectural grandeur and its continuity of use as a private residence. (8/2012) Clifton Wingates: (original name: Dipple). Stone Tudor mansion w/outbuildings at #35 & #56 Crosby Brown Road. Constructed 1903 by Price & McLanahan for William C. Scott; original 192 acres. Purchased by financier J. Crosby Brown in 1914 & altered by the same architects. (85).
Class: 1
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Mill Creek Increase
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL027

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014