Lower Merion Township Banner

441 Conshohocken State Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1886-1900
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Walter Latch
Description of the Resource: Constructed just before the turn of the 20th century, this simple, Queen Anne house sits on a small, half-acre lot in Gladwyne. It was long owned by Walter Latch, who constructed the building on what was originally a fifteen-acre lot. Latch owned the property for close to ten years before constructing the house at 441 Conshohocken, building first a frame barn and smaller stone house. When this stone house was built, it was one of four buildings on the property. In the 1930s and 1940s, Latch began to subdivide the property and the area grew gradually denser. The house is 2 ½ stories tall and three bays wide, with a cross gabled roof in the center bay. The steeply pitched front gable has a single small window on the third level, and two very shallow pitched gable dormers are on both sides of the front gable. A simple entrance surmounted by a row of transom lights is located in the center of the front façade. A two-story wing extends east from the rear of the house, and two one-story enclosed porches are located in back as well. (8/2012)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL090

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014