Lower Merion Township Banner

625 Dodds Ln

Date of Construction: ca. 1877-1881
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Dr. R.J. Dodd
Description of the Resource: Construction of this stone building began circa 1877-1881 as a small barn for Dr. R.J. Dodd’s “Glenwood” estate. Within the next five years, the barn doubled in size, resulting in a long building plan, similar in size to the one seen today. The structure can be broken into three parts. The western most part is one story and has a gabled roof, with its ends facing north and south. The eastern most portion is the main, and largest, block. It is two stories tall with an end gabled roof running east-west and features a pent eave on the main, north, façade between its first and second floors. It has two flanking one story rooms to the east and west with roofs sloping down from the main block. Off the eastern one story flanking room is the third part, a one story section that connects the western section with the larger, east section. Its roof runs east-west in line with the main, eastern section. A second, stone structure is located on the southern end of the property, behind the main house. The early 70 acre “Glenwood” shrunk in size around the turn of the 20th century, with parcels being sold to other wealthy residents for their estates, including H.C. Register’s “Clovely,” and James S. Austin’s “Rocky Crest.” In circa 1908-1913, “Glenwood,” and its remaining 11 acres, was bought by C.J. McIlvain, Jr, who renamed the estate “Pine Hill.” It was sold in the 1930s to Walter Franklin who operated the estate until it was subdivided in the mid 1970s. (8/2012) Converted stone barn. (1896 atlas: Dr. R.J. Dodd) (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL096

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014