Lower Merion Township Banner

701 Conshohocken State Rd

Date of Construction: 1716
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Griffith Llewellyn
Description of the Resource: This six-acre property is the remainder of what used to be a large, 700-acre farm, owned for approximately 150 years by members of an early Welsh family, the Llewellyns. The property in this area and extending towards the Schuylkill River, once known as the Indian Fields, was purchased by Morris Llewellyn beginning the 1690s and it remained in the family for many generations--parts of it sold off or given to descendents and in-laws. Records show that a small family cemetery was established on what is now Youngs Ford Road, though most of the remains have since been removed. The southern portion of the fieldstone house, at 2 stories and four bays wide, is the earliest section. Typical of early settlement houses, the house and barn might have been combined, which would explain the purpose of the wide arched doorways. Extending northward from the northeastern corner of the 1716 section is a four-bay, two-story addition, with a full-length, one-story shed roof porch on the western side. Also on the property is a bridge that allows cars to cross over the small stream that runs across the property. (8/2012)
Class: 1
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL101

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014