Date of Construction: ca. 1900-1908
Original Owner: Dr. Sameul G. Dixon (1908)
Description of the Resource: This 2-1/2 story Colonial Revival house was built in the western corner of the historic Black Rock Farm in circa 1900-1908. The house’s main façade is oriented west, towards Williamson Road, while the driveway is on the south side of Black Rock Road. The stone house is L-shaped, with its main block oriented north-south and a smaller wing extending east off the northern half of the eastern façade. The west, main, facade is five bays wide and features a flat-roofed porch around the centrally located entrance, surmounted by a Palladian style window. Five gabled roof dormers protrude from the roof and align with the five bays, the central dormer wider than the rest. Two pairs of stone chimneys are located just within the end gables on the north and south ends of the building. The smaller, perpendicular wing is also 2-1/2 stories tall, but narrower than the main block and extends only two bays beyond the eastern façade of the main building. A one story porch wraps around the eastern façade and an in-ground pool just north of the building was constructed in the 21st century. A picket fence encloses the pool and physically connects it to the house. Originally, a large garage and tennis courts were located east of the house, but have since been parceled off. Today, a small garage is located just north of the pool. This house, located on a ten-acre parcel in the western corner of Black Rock Farm, was constructed nearly ten years after Samuel Dixon bought and renamed the farm. He owned this house until circa 1920-1926, when it was sold to George Reilly. Ten or fifteen years later, the lot sold to Beatrice Baer, who held onto the property for another ten or so years before it was subdivided and sold off. (8/2012) Dr. Samuel G. Dixon house. Large well drained Georgian Revival stone part of Black Rock Farm in 1908.
Street Classification: Tertiary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL112