Lower Merion Township Banner

839 Black Rock Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1893-96
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Charles S. Haley
Description of the Resource: This late 19th century house is located on the southeast side of Black Rock Road, between Williamson and Rock Creek roads. The frame house is set back slightly from the road and accessed by a small driveway west of the house. Typical of a Queen Anne style home, it is 2-1/2 stories tall with a complex roof plan; it features a hipped roof on its front section and an end gabled roof on its mid and rear sections, which together create a ‘t’ plan. The two-bay, north façade has a one story end gabled porch shading the front entrance, which is west of center. A chimney protrudes from the eastern side of this front section while a gabled dormer sits on the other. A small outbuilding sits south of the house, at the end of the driveway. The house was built sometime within the last ten to fifteen years of the 19th century. In the 1850s, a 20 acre lot that extended along Black Rock Road to Williamson Road was owned by J.M. Haley, and a house, which currently sits at 847 Black Rock Road, had already been built. Near the end of the 19th century, the lot was split in two, the western half sold to Samuel Dixon, owner of the adjacent Black Rock Farm. The remainder was also divided into two: the old house was occupied by Edward Haley and the new house occupied by Charles Haley. Charles sold the property to Dixon in the early 1900s. Dixon sold the house, along with the remainder of the farm in the 1930s. (8/2012) Frame late 19th century house. (1896 atlas: Charles S. Haley) (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Tertiary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL114

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014