Lower Merion Township Banner

914 Black Rock Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1893-1896
Original Architect:
Original Owner: J. Heilman
Description of the Resource: This early frame Colonial farmhouse is located on the northwest side of Black Rock Road, between Rock Creek Road and the historic town of Gladwyne. The house is situated near the street, on the eastern half of the L-shaped lot. Behind the farmhouse, at 916 Black Rock Road, is the historic barn. The saltbox house is two stories tall and five bays wide. It has a side gabled roof, a pent eave on its front, south, façade, and two chimneys, one on each of the gabled ends. A third chimney is located in the rear western corner. An extended roof on the rear indicates that a one-story lean-to might have been added after the house was first constructed. The extended roof appears to have been raised later to provide a livable second story space above the early rear one-story rooms. A small one story addition extends from the east corner of the north side. An exact date of the construction of this wood farmhouse is unclear, but it is evident that a structure stood on this lot since the early 1870s. The property was owned by the Heilmans from the late 1870s until circa 1900-1908. A house appears on the property atlases in 1871 and the barn appears alongside the house in 1881. However, there appears to be no structures on the 1887 or 1893 atlases. A house and barn appear again in the same locations in the 1896 atlas. In the beginning of the 20th century, the property was incorporated into the adjacent “Idylwild Farm,” owned at the time by Mrs. Walter Saunders. In the 1930s, a 50 acre parcel, including the house and barn, were sold to Emily S. Perkins. The parcel was subdivided in the 1940s into the Waverly Estates Plan and the house and barn became two separate parcels. (8/2012) Early frame house w/barn in back. Once part of Idlewild Farm.
Class: 2
Street Classification: Tertiary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL120

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014