Date of Construction: ca. 1893-96
Original Owner: J. Heilman
Description of the Resource: This late 19th century frame barn was originally associated with the farmhouse at 914 Black Rock Road. The two-story historic structure is located near the front of the lot and a new home has been constructed in the rear in 2005. The main living space is on the second level of the barn, accessible either through the garage on the ground level or by an exterior wood staircase located on the northeast corner of the building. The property was owned by the Heilmans from the late 1870s until the early 1900s. The barn first appears in the property atlases in 1881, but not again until fifteen years later. In 1896, the house and barn reappear in the same location, with generally the same building footprint. In the beginning of the 20th century, the property was incorporated into the adjacent “Idylwild Farm,” owned at the time by Mrs. Walter Saunders. In the 1930s, a 50 acre parcel, including the house and barn, were sold to Emily S. Perkins. The parcel was subdivided in the 1940s into the Waverly Estates Plan and the house and barn became two separate parcels. (8/2012) Barn associated with frame house at 914 Black Rock. Once part of Idlewild Farm.
Street Classification: Tertiary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL122