Lower Merion Township Banner

1001 Conshohocken State Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1893
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Eugine Dulena
Description of the Resource: In the 1890s, Eugene Dulena (or Delano) purchased a 32-acre parcel from Wm. H. Crawford on Lafayette Road, between Conshohocken State Road and Stoney Lane. By 1896, the property contained a large main house in the center of the property, five small outbuildings, and this frame lodge or gatehouse located at the intersection between Lafayette and Conshohocken State Roads. Called “Sulena,” Dulena resided at this property until just after the turn of the 20th century. By 1908, the property belonged to S.W. Colton Jr. He purchased an additional 45 acres from Crawford and either replaced or expanded on the main house. He also renamed the property, “Hilltop Farm,” but soon changed it to “Longmeadow House.” By the late 1930s, the 77-acre parcel was subdivided and nearly all but this lodge were demolished. It is a simple, folk Victorian house that is oriented south, perpendicular to Conshohocken State Rd. At 1 ½ stories, it is composed of a front gable and side wing. The gable front has a one-story bay window in the center of the first floor and a small medallion near the peak. A gabled portico near the western edge of the front façade shades the house’s main entrance. It is supported by simple posts and has decorative carvings in the gable. A hipped wall dormer sits in the center of the wing. There is a large stone chimney where the two gabled sections intersect. There is a shed-roof porch under a cross gabled peak on the eastern side of the house. (10/2012)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL156

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014