Lower Merion Township Banner

1290 Club House Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1908-1913
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Louis Rodman Page
Description of the Resource: This 2 ½ story stone building was once a carriage house. The main house and carriage house were constructed circa 1908-1913 for Louis Rodman Page, who had just bought “Inwood Farm” from Ross Broades. He renamed the 82-acre estate “Aramink Farm” and constructed the new buildings. In the 1930s the estate was subdivided and by the mid 1940s, the main house was demolished. For approximately 30 years, the carriage house sat on a 35 acre lot, but in the mid 1970s, the property was once again subdivided into smaller, one- and two-acre lots. Set back from the road on a wooded hillside, the Colonial Revival house is composed of two parts: the living quarters are in the main wing, which is approximately nine bays long and oriented east-west, and the garage wing, which has one large garage bay and extends southward from the eastern end. A driveway winds up from the southern corner of the lot to the south side of the building. Because the house was constructed into the hillside, the southern, front, side of the house appears to be 1 ½ stories, with three gabled dormers on the side-gabled roof. The foundation level is fully exposed on the northern side, making the house appear to be 2 ½ stories from the rear. here are three paired-window dormers and one gabled wall dormer on this side of the main block. The garage is one story tall and has an end gabled roof with a front gable emphasizing the garage door on the western side. Additionally, a small cupola sits in the middle of the garage wing. (8/2012) Converted stone carriage house from: Aramink Farm. (1913 atlas Louis Rodman Page). Main house demolished. (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL208

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014