Lower Merion Township Banner

1345 Conshohocken State Rd

Date of Construction: pre-1851
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Ross Broades
Description of the Resource: This large stone building was once the barn for “Inwood Farms,” a large farm owned by Ross Broades for over 60 years until the early 1910s. The main house is located at 1235 Conshohocken State Rd. The barn is located in the center of a nine-acre lot. It is 1 ½ stories tall and is entered through a shed roof porch on the southern gable end. Two pyramidal cupolas sit on the ridge of the roof. There is also a large barn door in the center of the eastern façade. On the southern side, remnants of past additions can be seen in the ground. There is also an old springhouse in the western corner of the lot. Ross Broades owned approximately 143 acres by 1851, which included two buildings. While it is uncertain when this barn and its accompanying house were built, it seems to have been sometime before 1851. He continued to construct more farm buildings, and by 1896 he had over a dozen structures. He named the farm, “Inwood Farm” and it stayed in his estate until the early 1910s when it was purchased by Louis Rodman Page. Page constructed a new house and carriage house north of the existing buildings and renamed the estate, “Aramink Farm.” He subdivided the property into three large lots in the 1930s: the newer house and carriage house on one, the barn on the second, and the original farmhouse and several other farm buildings on the third. The barn property remained in tact until a northern section was developed in the 1990s. The property with the original farmhouse was subdivided in the late 1980s and the property containing newer buildings (only the carriage house remains) were subdivided in the 1970s. (8/2012)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL214

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014