Lower Merion Township Banner

1780 Aloha Ln

Date of Construction: pre-1851
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Henry E. Newberry
Description of the Resource: It is unclear as to exactly when this stone structure was first constructed, but by 1893, it was one of several buildings (including 1790 Aloha Lane) along Aloha Lane that were part of Alan Wood’s 100-acre “Woodmont” estate. Before belonging to Wood, the property, then 78 acres, belonged to John Newberry for over forty years. This house, once an outbuilding, was most likely first associated with the Newberry residence, though only one structure appears on Newberry’s property in the 1871 atlas, which was most likely his residence. Histories claim the structure to have been built circa 1800. Several of the surrounding buildings were torn down or destroyed in the 1930s and 1940s. By 1948, this structure was on its own small parcel, separated from the large “Woodmont Estate” then owned by J. Hector McNeal. The two-story stone house is located northwest of the intersection between Aloha Lane and Bryn Tyddyn Drive. It is situated right along the street with a front entrance that is shaded by a gabled entry porch supported by two diagonal brackets. The house is four bays wide and has a cross gabled roof, with the front gable over the two western bays. The entrance is located on the second bay in from the eastern end. It was constructed in a simple National Folk, or vernacular, style. Several two story additions were constructed onto the rear of the house. (8/2012)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL239

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014