Lower Merion Township Banner

1790 Aloha Ln

Date of Construction: pre-1851
Original Architect:
Original Owner: John Newberry
Description of the Resource: It is unclear as to exactly when this stone house was constructed, but by 1893, it was one of several buildings, including 1780 Aloha Lane, along Aloha Lane that were part of Alan Wood’s 100-acre “Woodmont” estate. Before belonging to Wood, the property, then 78 acres, belonged to John Newberry for over forty years. This house appears on the 1851 atlas and histories claim the house to have been built circa 1800. Several of the surrounding buildings were torn down or destroyed in the 1930s and 1940s. By 1948, this structure was on its own small parcel, separated from the large “Woodmont Estate” then owned by J. Hector McNeal. This Colonial Revival stone house has undergone numerous additions and alterations, resulting in a series of one- to three-story sections. The building appears to be oriented east, towards Bryn Tyddyn Drive. The front half of the building is composed of a front gabled section on the northern end and a side-gabled wing extending southward. The front gabled section is three stories tall and it projects slightly from the wing. The 2 ˝ story wing is four bays wide and has a small center gable over the two central bays. A shed roof entry porch hangs over the door, which is on the northern bay of this wing. A two story addition with a gabled end extends westward from the rear center of the wing. A one-story shed-roofed addition was constructed to the rear of the northern end of the building. Another two-story, one-bay addition was constructed on the southwest corner of the building, where the rear wing meets the original wing. (8/2012) Stucco house said to be early farmhouse probably enlarged. Was part of Woodmont estate? (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: GL240

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014