Lower Merion Township Banner

1 College Ln

Date of Construction: ca. 1887-96
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Haverford College
Description of the Resource: The houses along College Lane, the entrance road of the Haverford College campus, were constructed between 1886 and 1890 as private residences for College faculty and other important Haverfordians. They stand on an area of campus called the Warner Tract that was acquired by a small group of Board members between 1884 and 1886. The College then purchased one lot from them, and the other seven remained under the control of the syndicate. These houses were built during the term of College President Isaac Sharpless and David Scull, Jr., a prominent member of the Haverford College Board of Managers. Their tenures saw an expansive campus building campaign that continued until 1910; only four buildings existed on the campus before this period. Built in 1886, 1 College Lane is one of the largest and grandest of these houses. Referred to in atlases as “Dean’s House,” this may have been the one lot that was originally owned by the College. A circular drive in front of the house separated it from Houses #2 through #7. The house had a large porch and balcony off the front bedrooms and wood frame bay windows off of the side living rooms and back bedrooms. Plans from 1927 show that the house was being subdivided into four apartments and that a fire tower was added. A contract with all specifications accompanies these plans. A large low addition has been attached to the façade of the building that faces Lancaster Avenue, and the circular drive is gone, so it is difficult to now read any side of the building as primary or as an entrance. The building is still used for faculty housing. (8/2012) Haverford College website cites date of 1886; 6727 sq ft
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA001

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014