Lower Merion Township Banner

2 College Ln

Date of Construction: ca. 1887-96
Original Architect: Cope & Stewardson
Original Owner: Haverford College
Description of the Resource: The houses along College Lane, the entrance road of the Haverford College campus, were constructed between 1886 and 1890 as private residences for College faculty and other important Haverfordians. They stand on an area of campus called the Warner Tract that was acquired by a small group of Board members between 1884 and 1886. The College then purchased one lot from them, and the other seven remained under the control of the syndicate. These houses were built during the term of College President Isaac Sharpless and David Scull, Jr., a prominent member of the Haverford College Board of Managers. Their tenures saw an expansive campus building campaign that continued until 1910; only four buildings existed on the campus before this period. 2 College Lane is the David Scull House. It was built in 1888 by Cope and Stewardson architects for David Scull, Jr. The house has a coursed stone foundation and shingle exterior with a large bay window in the front. The masonry walls are coursed ashlar, and the building has two brick chimneys; only one is visible from the street, a large corbelled chimney. A wing was added to the rear in 1931. Houses #2 through #7 are connected by a small road behind them to the south. The building is still used as faculty housing. (8/2012) Haverford College website cites date of 1888; 5988 sq.ft. Large stone/shingle late 19th century house on the Haverford College campus. (1896 atlas: Haverford College). (88-S 91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA002

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014