Lower Merion Township Banner

3 College Ln

Date of Construction: ca. 1881-1887
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Haverford College
Description of the Resource: The houses along College Lane, the entrance road of the Haverford College campus, were constructed between 1886 and 1890 as private residences for College faculty and other important Haverfordians. They stand on an area of campus called the Warner Tract that was acquired by a small group of Board members between 1884 and 1886. The College then purchased one lot from them, and the other seven remained under the control of the syndicate. These houses were built during the term of College President Isaac Sharpless and David Scull, Jr., a prominent member of the Haverford College Board of Managers. Their tenures saw an expansive campus building campaign that continued until 1910; only four buildings existed on the campus before this period. 3 College Lane is one of the larger houses in the row. It is a stone and brick building with flat arch windows and openings. It has a large arched porch and balcony and a bay window off the study. The original roof was slate and tin. The triplicate front/north fašade of the building is composed of porches flanking a central bay with large two-story bay window with ornamental brickwork. The left bay has a large projecting oriel/dormer, In 1929 a sleeping porch to the second floor rear and fire tower were added. Houses #2 through #7 are connected by a small road behind them to the south. The building is still used as faculty housing. (8/2012) Haverford College website cites date of 1890; 6564 sq.ft. Large stone/brick Colonial Revival house on the Haverford College campus. (1896 atlas: Haverford College). (88-S 91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA003

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014