Lower Merion Township Banner

4 College Ln

Date of Construction: ca. 1881-87
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Haverford College
Description of the Resource: The houses along College Lane, the entrance road of the Haverford College campus, were constructed between 1886 and 1890 as private residences for College faculty and other important Haverfordians. They stand on an area of campus called the Warner Tract that was acquired by a small group of Board members between 1884 and 1886. The College then purchased one lot from them, and the other seven remained under the control of the syndicate. These houses were built during the term of College President Isaac Sharpless and David Scull, Jr., a prominent member of the Haverford College Board of Managers. Their tenures saw an expansive campus building campaign that continued until 1910; only four buildings existed on the campus before this period. One of the last of these houses to be built, 4 College Lane was constructed in 1890 for Richard M. Jones, Headmaster of the William Penn Charter School. Although smaller in scale than the three large houses to its east, this building is full of interesting details. The west fašade has a two-story gabled bay window, and the east side has a small porch. The building is predominantly composed of coursed ashlar, but it has three brick chimneys. An oriel window above the arched entrance porch graces the front of the house and is topped by a decorative bargeboard. The window in the gable below the bargeboard is a casement window. One large bracket visually supports the cornice on the right side of the front fašade; the corresponding bracket that should be on the left side is missing. Houses #2 through #7 are connected by a small road behind them to the south. The building is still used as faculty housing. (8/2012) Haverford College website cites date of 1890; 4700 sq.ft. Large stone Queen Anne house on Haverford College campus. (1896 atlas: Haverford College). (88-S 91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA004

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014