Lower Merion Township Banner

5 College Ln

Date of Construction: ca. 1887-96
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Haverford College
Description of the Resource: The houses along College Lane, the entrance road of the Haverford College campus, were constructed between 1886 and 1890 as private residences for College faculty and other important Haverfordians. They stand on an area of campus called the Warner Tract that was acquired by a small group of Board members between 1884 and 1886. The College then purchased one lot from them, and the other seven remained under the control of the syndicate. These houses were built during the term of College President Isaac Sharpless and David Scull, Jr., a prominent member of the Haverford College Board of Managers. Their tenures saw an expansive campus building campaign that continued until 1910; only four buildings existed on the campus before this period. Built in 1886 for Professor J. Rendel Harris, this was one of the first houses in the row to be constructed. Harris was a great scholar from Cambridge University, England who, after teaching at Johns Hopkins University for two years, was hired as Professor of Ecclesiastical History and New Testament Studies. The coursed stone house is the smallest in scale of the College Lane houses. The house has two beautiful corbelled chimneys and several stick style ornamented gables. The front fašade has a small porch and one large and one small gable. Both gables have lattice windows and decorative bargeboards. Houses #2 through #7 are connected by a small road behind them to the south. The building is still used for faculty housing. (8/2012) Haverford College website cites date 1886; 5100 sq.ft. Large stone & frame Tudor house on Haverford College campus. (1896 atlas: Haverford College). (88-S 91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA005

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014