Lower Merion Township Banner

7 College Ln

Date of Construction: ca. 1887-96
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Haverford College
Description of the Resource: The houses along College Lane, the entrance road of the Haverford College campus, were constructed between 1886 and 1890 as private residences for College faculty and other important Haverfordians. They stand on an area of campus called the Warner Tract that was acquired by a small group of Board members between 1884 and 1886. The College then purchased one lot from them, and the other seven remained under the control of the syndicate. These houses were built during the term of College President Isaac Sharpless and David Scull, Jr., a prominent member of the Haverford College Board of Managers. Their tenures saw an expansive campus building campaign that continued until 1910; only four buildings existed on the campus before this period. 6-7 College Lane is the only twin in the row. 7 College Lane is called “Palmer.” The small semi-coursed stone house, although not attributed to Cope and Stewardson is very characteristic of their work. There is a small stone porch off the front of House #6 and a small stone porch off the rear of House #7. There are several dormers off each side of the roof. The gables that were previously uncovered stone are now covered with ornamented shingles. Houses #2 through #7 are connected by a small road behind them to the south. The building is still used for faculty housing. (8/2012) Haverford College website cites date of 1887; 4000 sq.ft. Large stone & frame Tudor house on Haverford College campus. (1896 atlas: Haverford College). (88-S 91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA007

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.

© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014