Lower Merion Township Banner

8 College Ln

Date of Construction: ca. 1896-1900
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Haverford College
Description of the Resource: The houses along College Lane, the entrance road of the Haverford College campus, were constructed between 1886 and 1890 as private residences for College faculty and other important Haverfordians. They stand on an area of campus called the Warner Tract that was acquired by a small group of Board members between 1884 and 1886. The College then purchased one lot from them, and the other seven remained under the control of the syndicate. These houses were built during the term of College President Isaac Sharpless and David Scull, Jr., a prominent member of the Haverford College Board of Managers. Their tenures saw an expansive campus building campaign that continued until 1910; only four buildings existed on the campus before this period. 8 College Lane is the largest of the houses on the row and is set slightly apart from them. This coursed ashlar house was built in 1886 for Jane Bispham, daughter of David Scull and sister of David Scull, Jr., and, like House #1, it has a private circular drive in front. In 1916, the house was converted into the T. Wistar Brown Graduate School of Haverford College. Former College President Sharpless was the first Dean of the Graduate School, which was open to both men and women. A large porch wrapped from the front of the house around to the right. Bay windows graced the first floor study and seminar rooms. The exterior is highly ornamented; the front fašade has a large gable with a decorative bargeboard and finial. It is the only house in the row that has contrasting lintels above masonry windows. It is now called The William E. and Charlotte M. Cadbury House and houses both students and faculty. (8/2012) Haverford College website states date of 1886; 8841 sq.ft. Stone mid-century house w/Italianate features on the Haverford College campus. (1896 atlas: Haverford College). (88-S 91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA008

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014