Lower Merion Township Banner

108 Avon Rd

Date of Construction: 1901
Original Architect: William Price
Original Owner: Louis S. Clarke
Description of the Resource: This large house was built for Louis S. Clark, owner of the Autocar Factory, on the northern corner of the intersection between Avon and New Gulph Roads. Designed by William L. Price in a Tudor style with heavy Victorian influences, the house and carriage house were built in 1901. Clark owned the property for nearly forty years. The house is 2 ½ stories tall and is composed of a main, side-gabled section, a cross-gabled wing in the center of the front, south, façade, and a cross-gabled wing on the eastern end of the rear façade. The front wing is open on the first floor, functioning as a porte cochere and the building’s main entrance. The upper floors are supported by stone arches. The first floor of the remainder of the building is also composed of stone and the upper floors have half-timbered walls. There are decorative brackets in the gables and at the eaves, which is a Victorian characteristic. The house also has several gabled roof dormers and wall dormers, and there are four tall, corbelled brick chimneys on various parts of the house. The carriage house is a side-gabled building designed in a similar. Tudor style as the main house. It is constructed of half timbered walls and has deep overhangs under which the cars park. On the northwestern corner is a rounded tower with a peaked roof. (10/2012) Large late 19th century half-timber Tudor house with carriage house built for Louis S. Clarke.
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA015

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014