Lower Merion Township Banner

210 Cuylers Ln

Date of Construction: 1886
Original Architect:
Original Owner: W. Grey
Description of the Resource: It is possible that this former carriage house was constructed as early as the first half of the 19th century, on William Grey’s 78-acre estate. The 1851 atlas shows two buildings on the Grey estate in the same location as the outbuildings in Joseph Darlington’s estate. Based on the Queen Anne detailing, the house was most likely decorated or rebuilt when the property was purchased by Darlington by1887. By 1896, Darlington had purchased the adjacent lot and created his 10-acre “Roslyn” estate. Darlington remained the owner until the 1920s and by the late 1930s, two parcels were subdivided along Gray’s Lane and one of the outbuildings was put on its own lot. Today, both outbuildings are on a separate lot from the main house, which is at 220 Cuylers Lane. The building is 1 ˝ stories tall and has a front gable with a side wing. The garage is located on the ground floor of the wing and the front door is on the gable front. A hipped roof dormer sits in the center of the side-gabled wing. (10/2012) See 220 Cuylers Lane.
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA025

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014